Thursday 27 August 2009

Question for August 27th 2009 - Hari

I tried the fancy "post at time" thing and maybe I got it wrong :( Sorry for the delay).

Connect the following:

1. Semtín, a suburb of Pardubice in the Czech Republic

2. "A boy was lying at the bottom of the steps on to the road. A young laddie with brown socks and blue trousers on. Later that evening my son-in-law asked for a blanket to cover him. I didn't know he was dead. I gave him a lamb's wool travelling rug thinking I'd keep him warm. Two more girls were lying dead across the road, one of them bent over garden railings. It was just as though they were sleeping. The boy lay at the bottom of my stairs for days. Every time I came back to my house for clothes he was still there. 'My boy is still there,' I used to tell the waiting policeman. Eventually on Saturday I couldn't take it no more. 'You got to get my boy lifted,' I told the policeman. That night he was moved." - a testimonial by a local resident, Bunty Galloway (Not a resident of Pardubice :) ofcourse)

3.







5 comments:

Nikhil said...

My connect is "Orange"

1. Not sure how this connects, maybe the suburb has all buildings colored orange?
2. Sounds like something from Clockwork Orange (or one of the stories that inspired the book).
3. Syracuse logo (It's sports teams are called Orange)

Ankur said...

Lockerbie Bombing?

I know there were 35 Syracuse students on that flight.The quote must be from a resident of Lockerbie?. Not sure how Semtin connects. But given that its in the news recently, its a reasonable guess.

Madhur said...

So am guessing based on recent news events :)and somewhat to the secong clue and some inkling of having read Semtin etc...

The connect is the Lockerbie Bombing?

pratYk said...

Lockerbie Bombing...

good timing with the question :) .. could answer it only because it was in the news recently

1) Semtex was used in the bombing

2) i believe this was about Mezrahi, the libyan bomber who was in the news like last week about the release ..

3) Syracuse University's dirty logo. did Mezrahi go there for studies ? I know he was US educated.

The Answer said...

The answer is "Lockerbie bombing".

The plastic explosive semtex was named after the place semtin in Czech Republic (that was where it was invented).

The second clue was a witness account. The bodies and debris were not removed from their place for a long time so that forensic experts can find the cause for the disaster.

Yes. 35 Syracuse students were killed. Syracuse has a Remembrance week every year to pay homage to the victims. Also, every year, 2 students from Lockerbie academy get to go to Syracuse for studies.

Congrats to everyone who got the connect right.